Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Being a parent is scary business!

Saturday (Nov 13th) started like a normal weekend day would ... Chris let me sleep in (thank you!), he woke up with Elliot to give him breakfast, play and watch cartoons.  Around 11 am Chris came in to wake me up since he had a tee time scheduled for 12 noon with a friend from work.  By the time we came out in the living room, Elliot had rolled over and scooted from his play gym mat to the entertainment center ... he is on the move!  Not crawling but scooting.

Chris left for golf and I prepared Elliot's afternoon bottle as it was nearing his usual afternoon nap time.  I sat down to feed him and he appeared hungry.  After a minute or 2 of feeding I noticed that he was shaking his arm, this isn't unusual for Elliot but it is usually accompanied by agitation and whining - translation: "mommy, feed me faster" or "mommy, give me the bottle back!".  The only issue ... he wasn't whining or agitated - he was calm and almost sleepy-like.  I realized what was going on, put the bottle down, held up up and saw that his whole body was trembling - almost like a shiver ... not like a violent seizure.  He wasn't stiff, his breathing was normal, he didn't change colors, his face appear calm - almost asleep.

I immediately called our Pediatrician's office and the on-call Dr advised me to go to the ER and preferably have someone ride in the back with him.  We got to the ER and they took us right back to Peds.  Meanwhile our Moms were on their way up from Sarasota - huge thanks to Chris' mom for bringing my Mom!!  Not too long after we were there we saw the ER Doctor who said that she wanted to run a urine and blood test and that he would be admitted.  They were discussing whether he would be staying at LRMC or going to St. Joseph's in Tampa.  Urine and bloodwork came normal!!  Thank you Lord no infections or anything weird!  We spent the night and he didn't have any other episodes so we were discharged the following morning.  So far so good ... I hope to never experience that again!  All the doctors (ER, Peds, and Our Ped) feel that this was NOT a seizure episode but rather a sign of possible acid relux.  Such a relief!!!!

I have pictures but they didn't want to post so I might try again later...

THANK YOU for all of your prayers and well wishes for Elliot.  We pray this was a one-time, never going to happen again experience and should it ever happen again, we pray that it is reflux related!!

With love,
Connie

No comments: