Don't forget to cast your vote in our baby pool ... it's getting close!!
Elliot: Exciting news this week is lung development— Elliot's respiratory system is almost completely mature. IF he were born now, he would be considered "pre-term" rather than premature. This distinction is based on fetal maturity, particularly the maturity of the fetal lungs. A pre-term baby, unlike a premature baby, is likely to have well-developed lungs and is less likely to need intensive care. He is currently shedding his lanugo, the fine downy hair that previously covered his body. More vernix, the waxy coating that protects your baby's skin while submerged in amniotic fluid, is building up.
Elliot's adrenal glands are producing more steroid hormone, the androgen-like hormone that indirectly aids my milk production. He is currently producing ten times more of this hormone than a normal adult and the adrenal glands are currently the same size as those of an adolescent. They will shrink after birth.Antibodies are being passed from me to Elliot as he continues to develop his own fetal immune system, which will come in handy once he's outside the womb and fending off all sorts of germs. His pupils will constrict and dilate in response to light as he is able to detect light and tell the difference between night and day. The bones in his skull are soft but are not yet fused together. This pliability allows the bones to overlap while making that trip down the tight birth canal.
At the end of this week he will likely weigh close to 5lbs and is approximately is about 19.8 inches long. From what I've read is that he will likely gain about a 1/2 a pound a week. So based on his 32 almost 33 week stats at 4lb 6oz, I'm guessing that if he went to July 5th he would weigh in the ball park of 8-8.5 lbs. Just my guess.
Mommy: Update from today's appointment:
I completed my first NST (non-stress test) this is where they check his heart rate, movement, and contraction (if any) patterns. Doctor's words exactly as he reviewed the graphs were "this is beautiful, just perfect! We normally look for 2 accelerations in 20 minutes and he did 2 in 5-7 minutes. This is a sign of fetal well-being and he is doing just great!" YAY! Best news I could have asked for! I will continue to have weekly NST's up until he is born due to meds. I will have a normally scheduled ultrasound again at 36 weeks to check size and position again which is for delivery purposes ... holy crap, labor is SOON. I realize it's not tomorrow or next week BUT it could be in just 3 weeks and 6-7 weeks at most - to me, that is really soon!! lol
I'm feeling pretty good minus being so tired. I really don't feel that huge although sleeping is getting to me somewhat uncomfortable at times. Another new FUN thing that I've noticed is that even when I don't have to pee and I stand up I INSTANTLY have to pee. I guess he's putting a lot of pressure on my bladder.
Chris and I went to the Tampa Bay Rays game on Sunday which was a lot of fun and the Rays won!! We got there early and walked around the stadium to see their shops, etc. Well we found their "wood shop" where they engrave bats. So, we decided to get a bat made for Elliot. Only fitting since 90-95% of his clothes are baseball related. I thought it would be outrageously priced but it was only $25 for an 18 inch mini bat engraved with one line. We had them engrave his full name, Elliot Kurt Rohde. It looks awesome!! Here are some pictures of the bat as well as Chris and I at the game: (click picture to make bigger)

Daddy: Big week for Chris as he started his new job today. He is working for a BCBS subsidiary in their auditing department which is perfect since he is 1/2 way finished with his Masters degree in Accounting. This is a great way for him to be "in the field" and learn hands on about auditing. In babyland, Chris is getting very excited for Elliot's arrival. We talk to him everyday and tell him just 4-7 more weeks until he can come out and play.
Thanks again for your continued prayers for Elliot and our family. Only 49 days until we can meet our little boy!!

No comments:
Post a Comment