Saturday, July 3, 2010

Elliot's birth story

Elliot has arrived!!!!!  Happy BIRTHday to our sweet baby boy!


Stats:  Elliot Kurt Rohde born on June 18, 2010 at 4:18pm weighing 7lb, 3oz, 19.5 inches long.  He is a perfectly healthy and beautiful baby boy!!  Thank you God for this amazing gift!!


After 22 hours of labor with 30 minutes of pushing we welcomed our precious son into the world.  Chris was beyond an amazing coach and labor partner ... I couldn't have hoped or asked for better!!  I wish I could tell you how awesome it was to see Chris' face light up with pride and excitement as he saw and held our baby boy for the first time.  My labor was fairly textbook with no complications (thank you God!) and I was up walking around the same night after my epidural wore off.


Here's how it all happened:


June 17, 2010:  I was talking to my Mom wishing them a Happy 30th Wedding anniversary.  I had been cramping all day but still continued to run my errands and get things done around the house.  I figured that I couldn't baby myself and be miserable with the cramps because I had another 3-4 weeks of them to look forward to.  Little did I know that those were contractions!  Everyone always said "oh you'll know what contractions feel like" ... apparently not ... I ignored them all day because they felt like traditional period cramps and nothing like a contraction that I had read about.  Anyway, Chris got home from work and I told my Mom I had to go and stood up to greet Chris.  It was then that I stood up and instantly KNEW my water had broken.  It was 6:15pm.  I waddled to the bathroom, not making a spill on the floor (yay!) and confirmed indeed my water had broken.


Chris quickly gathered last minute things as I made phone calls.  I called my Mom back (not more than 2 minutes after we had just hung up), called Chris' mom and sister THEN I called my Doctor on call.  They told me to come in to be sure.  We arrived to the hospital around 7:30pm where I was taken to triage to be examined.  My water had in fact broken and we would be holding our baby boy within 24 hours.  SURREAL!  At that exam I was 2-3 cm and 30% effaced.  It would be a LONG night.  We were transferred to Labor & Delivery.  Our parents arrived to the hospital by 10:30 that night to wait for their first grandchild to be born.


The rest is sort of a blur but here are the accounts from family as Chris was updating them all night:


11:04 pm:  She's up to 3, 70% effaced

12:32 am:  Contrx 2-3 mins apart

1:29 am:  4 cm 70% now (same effaced)
4:50 am:  I'm 4-5 80% head still high.  Grrr.  Getting epi :)

5:29 am:  Anesthesiologist just got here.

7:44 am:  6 cm 80%

9:14 am:  Just started the pitocin

12:36 pm:  Just checked 8 cm, not fully effaced yet, station -1 (so a little closer than before) 

2:02 pm:  9.5, 100% soft, still very high

2:16 pm:  Alright doc confirmed 9.5 and fully effaced, -1 station.  40 minutes on her side, then sitting up to coerce him to move down.

2:56 pm:  Station +2, heads just about crowning.  Pushing soon.

2:57 pm:  Whohoo

3:24 pm: Contractions coming hard and fast.  Will push soon, I'll let you know.  (Included picture of monitor)






3:36 pm:  Starting 


*side note:  starting means they finally believed me when I said I felt a ton of pressure.  They were setting up all the blue stuff/tools and called NICU to be there since he was 37-38 weeks.  Doctor did not arrive until later when he was pretty much out.  I had to STOP pushing because we had to wait for the Dr to arrive.


4:18 Elliot is here ... Happy Birthday baby boy!

4:23 pm:  Chris sent picture to family. 



Elliot's 1st picture:  


Our 1st family picture:  


Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes during my pregnancy.  God has truly blessed us with the birth of our beautiful baby boy!  We are so excited to begin this new adventure of parenthood!!  Please continue to pray that our family is healthy and safe. xoxo

1 comment:

The Glanvilles said...

Congrats Connie! He is adorable. You guys will have so much fun.